California Meal Break & Rest Break Law (2019) – Quick Calculator + Charts

Under California meal break law (which is much more generous to employees than federal labor law), if you are a non-exempt worker, you are entitled to a 30-minute meal break if you work more than 5 hours in a workday.  You are also entitled to a 10-minute rest breaks for every 4 hours you work (or “major fraction” thereof). If your boss doesn’t comply with break law requirements, they are required to pay you one extra hour of regular pay for each day on which a meal break violation occurred, and another extra hour of regular pay for each day on which a rest break violation occurred.

Start of Your Shift (e.g., "9:00 am"): End of Your Shift (e.g., "5:00 pm"):

0 – 5 hrs 0
5:01 – 10 hrs 1
10:01 – 15 hrs 2
15:01 – 20 hrs 3
20:01 – 4

1. Mario Mejia on March 22, 2019 at 2:08 pm

Is my employer responsible by law to have a schedule that states your clock in time, and your clock out?…Becasu I only have a time schudel to clock in only..

2. james iaconis on March 22, 2019 at 12:52 pm

can you get fired for reporting to work 2 minutes late more than 2 times a week

3. Kayla on March 20, 2019 at 10:05 am

If someone was suppose to take a rest period but instead took a meal period, do they need receive penalty pay for not taking a 2nd rest period because they were scheduled 8 hours?

4. Dave Marcus on March 19, 2019 at 6:07 am

I would like to have a second persons thoughts. I’ve filed a claim but everyone involved seems to be draggin their feet on the issue & I’ve been unable to get a hold of my person. Is this normal or not? Jus curious

5. Olivia munoz on March 18, 2019 at 12:31 pm

My supervisor sends me to lunch 2 and a half hours after my shift started and breaks 40 minutes after my shift that means I’m going to be without a break for 6 hours not to mention that I’m pre diabetic I need to eat ( not to mention that send some coworkers home after 1 and a half hours after they shift without paying them the 4 that the law requires)

6. Christina Reed on March 18, 2019 at 4:47 am

Hi I’ve worked 75 times over 5 hrs before taking a lunch what kind if settlement would I get. I didn’t get paid 1 time for a meal penatly. And what is the price that is paid per penatly

7. Gamma on March 17, 2019 at 2:28 pm

Hi! I work 10 hours a day 6 days a week as a truck driver with no lunch and breaks taken, what should I get paid on regular hours and overtime hours? We do agriculture job in Visalia Ca . Thanks in advance!!

8. Sara on March 16, 2019 at 12:28 pm

My typical shift is 11am to 7pm. I’m told I need to take my break at 12:15, so 1 hour and 15 minutes into my shift. My question is, how much time needs to pass legally before I break?

9. A on March 16, 2019 at 5:36 am

For 4 years I’ve been working without lunch break or 10 min break , what am I entitled of? Can henfire me for making a claim?

• Thy Truong on March 20, 2019 at 4:48 am

My shift begin 10:00am to 7:00pm, I want to have lunch around 1200pm and rest around 5:00pm, is it legal for me to require my boss.

10. Kay on March 15, 2019 at 10:46 pm

My shift begins at 06:30 am and if we work a double the shift would end at 01:00 am. They are stating that in order to receive a bonus we must work a minimum of 6 consecutive hours of the extra shift; however, we are not entitled to a second meal break of 30 minutes unless we work until 01:30 am. If we choose to take a second meal break and only work until 01:00 am they will take away the bonus pay.

11. Brian on March 14, 2019 at 8:06 pm

Hello. I’m not understanding this. I’ve been playing around with this calculator. If someone works from 9am-5:15pm, it says time worked is 8:15 hours, but it doesn’t even show you what if you punched in your lunch break, which is unpaid. For example using a 9-5:15 schedule and the employee takes a 45 minute lunch at 12:45pm, the employee only works 7.5 hours, so shouldn’t that employee only get one 15 minute break and one 45 minute lunch instead of 2 15 minute breaks and 1 45 minute lunch.

12. erica on March 14, 2019 at 12:37 pm

If I work from 5:00PM to 9:pm total of 4 hours when do I get to take my break? is it after working 2 hours? or does it matter?

13. Cheryl on March 13, 2019 at 9:11 am

Can my CA employer force me to take my 30 minute break 15 minutes after starting my shift? 10am start, told must clock out from 1015-1045am and then work without a break until 430pm sometimes 530pm.

• Robert on March 15, 2019 at 9:42 am

No they can not. I would contact the labor department and make a report.

14. Ralph perales on March 12, 2019 at 4:38 pm

can I take a meal break right on the fifth hour like start at 8 am and take lunch right at 5 . pm on the dot . Please send me an answer to my email

15. M. Figs on March 10, 2019 at 7:53 pm

My shift starts at 4:30pm and it ends at 12:23am. I only take (1) 10 min break around 6:30pm and at 8:30pm I take my 30 min meal break . Am I entitle to another 10 min break.?

• Robert on March 15, 2019 at 9:41 am