California Meal Break & Rest Break Law (2019) – Quick Calculator + Charts

Start of Your Shift (e.g., "9:00 am"): End of Your Shift (e.g., "5:00 pm"):

1. Theresa on August 20, 2019 at 2:47 pm

I do in home care for elderly on payroll and work 12-13 hour days and usually get a break here and there when I am not either tending to client, cooking, cleaning, laundry etc. is this Legal as can’t ever leave?

2. Andrew on August 19, 2019 at 9:29 am

If the job requires travel, can a break be taken on a plane during a flight?

3. Adrian Torres on August 19, 2019 at 12:35 am

I work as a receptionist and I don’t get my breaks I work 8 hours I get no rest breaks and lunch I have to still answer phones and deal with customers! My boss got mad at me recently and told me it’s my fault!! That I need to go get her and ask for my lunch and breaks? I’m I wrong but don’t you think that they need to come over and break me? Not me going to ask. Ooh but no she eats before me and breaks.

4. Eve on August 16, 2019 at 11:03 am

I have a question.
    If my hours of work are from 8 am to 4 pm and take my 30 minutes of a meal break, this means I will get paid 7.5 hours, right?

5. Darlene Geren on August 13, 2019 at 12:36 pm

We are a work alternative schedule and we get paid an extra hour if we don’t take our break before the sixth hour. My question is sometimes we are sent for an hour and a half lunch break is that legal ?

6. M K Dunn on August 7, 2019 at 8:48 am

Great question, Angela!
    Angela on May 21, 2019 at 12:06 pm
    If I start work at 6am can I take at 11:45 and be compliant?

• ELM on August 11, 2019 at 3:22 pm

My employer makes me take a 30 minute break as soon as I clock in for work. Is that legal? For example if I work at 10am, I clock in and then immediately clock out for my break and then start work at 10:30am. It’s usually a 6 hour shift. It’s a restaurant, but it doesn’t seem legal to come in to immediately go on break. Curious?

• Joshua Petrie on August 12, 2019 at 8:05 am

I don’t know the specifics on that timing, but this part seems pertinent: “…you can agree with your boss to waive this meal period provided you do not work more than 6 hours in the workday.”

Someone else said they thought the meal break had to be 3 hours in to a shift. But here is the rest of that quote: “If you work over 5 hours in a day, you are entitled to a meal break of at least 30 minutes that must start before the end of the fifth hour of your shift.”

I hope this helps!

7. John Minnihan on August 6, 2019 at 7:33 pm

As an employer, HOW do I document that employees take their breaks and meals timely? Having them sign that they did take them timely is not going to work because they will just say later that they were forced to sign or be fired’ and the courts accept their word as the truth over the employer.

8. José Buenrostro on August 5, 2019 at 7:15 pm

I work as a dispatcher for a trucking company I start at 2pm and im required to take my lunch before 7 pm. on some occasions the other dispatcher who is supposed to be here to relieve me of my duties is late and I am forced to take lunch at my desk since the phones can not be left unattended. In other instances I’ve had to work alone on a Saturday or cover the night shift and there is no one to cover me while I go on lunch. Should I be getting compensated for my lunches. I asked my boss what am I to do if no one available to cover for my lunch and she said I am allowed to eat at my desk.

9. Marvin Bennett on August 5, 2019 at 1:42 pm

If working over 6 hours are employees allowed to waive their meal break to the 6th hour?

• Joshua Petrie on August 11, 2019 at 2:39 am

My best guess: No, not exactly. You can only waive a meal break if your total worked time is less than 6 hours.

At the end of the 5th hour worked (ex: 8am–1pm) the employer must relieve an employee of duty for 30 unpaid minutes (1–1:30pm) but doesn’t need to ensure no work is performed. So you’d be working 30 minutes for free, technically. Then, if you took a 30 minute break at the end of 6 hours (2pm) you’d technically be on the clock but not working. (I guess that balances out nicely… however…)

If during your lunch (1–1:30pm) your employer asks you to do work you are now being denied “time for your own purposes” and in effect remain under the employer’s control and thus, the meal period must be paid. (I don’t know if that means a penalty hour or the regular 30 minutes though.) Also, if they become aware that you are working during your lunch they owe you the meal period.

See https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_MealPeriods.htm for more info as there are exceptions.

10. Chris on August 4, 2019 at 9:30 am

My job has me working 14 hr shifts and tell me that I have to take two 1 hour breaks for lunch not sure if that is right or wrong but if I don’t take two lunches and only take a 1 hour lunch they still deduct the other hour from me

11. Another One Leaving on August 2, 2019 at 2:36 pm

Small business owner here. Thanks for the page and information — it’s helpful and well written given the rules you’re explaining. It’s both sad and amazing that something so simple as work breaks could become so complicated.

There is SO much unnecessary regulatory complexity in this state. It has all kinds of costs to the economy that most people don’t even see. Labor law in particular is A) almost ALWAYS written from an assumed-adversarial stance, when it comes to the defining and attempting to legislatively micro-manage the relationship between employer and employee (frankly, it’s exhausting just to keep up with it), and B) ENTIRELY punitive — not a single “positive reinforcement” for job creation anywhere in the code, as far as I’ve ever seen. Creating jobs in California = 10,000+ ways to get hit with stick. Uh, no thanks…

Six generations of family roots here, and over 35 years of being a small business contributor to California’s economy and tax base. I’m done tolerating the abuse, and I’m leaving California, and taking the jobs and tax contributions with me.

12. Yvonne on August 1, 2019 at 10:30 am

I worked for a place as a server that scheduled us to come in at 3:00 pm, work for 30 minutes and then we HAD TO take our 30 minute break from 3:30 to 4:00. I wouldn’t get out of work until almost 11pm and was given no other rest breaks during my shift. Is this allowed?

• Joshua Petrie on August 11, 2019 at 2:46 am

Not exactly… the calculator on this page above goes in to greater detail, but this may be helpful: “If your employer did not allow you the above meal and/or rest breaks on time, you would be entitled to 1 hour of wages for each day there was a rest break violation, and/or 1 hour of wages for each day there was a meal break violation.” Sounds like you are owed 2 extra hours of pay per day like that for the past 3 years (which is the statute of limitations on meal/rest violations, see Murphy v. Cole in CA Supreme Court).

13. ANA LOPEZ on July 30, 2019 at 4:23 pm

I work for a grocery store and work 8 hrs shift. is it ok to take my lunch before the 6th hour ?

Also I come in on Saturdays and work 6 hrs but clock out at 6:05 do I still have to take a lunch ? can the company enter a 30 min lunch for me with out me know ?

14. carolyn barlage on July 29, 2019 at 10:23 am

please reply soon, I am a cashier at a large and growing well known retail market, the corporation has informed all cashiers that their breaks start when they leave the register, as I read the labor law in concerns to breaks one of the things I understand that my break starts when I enter the break room. Please inform me if I’m wrong. I want to inform the other cashiers.

• Debi on July 30, 2019 at 10:50 am

I think this is tricky & depends – are you required to clock out or go to the break room, if so then yes that’s is when it starts – if not I believe it can start at the time you leave the register but going to the break room is optional

• Joshua Petrie on August 11, 2019 at 2:49 am

“The rest period is defined as a “net” ten minutes, which means that the rest period begins when the employee reaches an area away from the work area that is appropriate for rest.”

15. carolyn barlage on July 27, 2019 at 1:15 pm

As a cashier we are told that our break starts when we walk away from the register instead of walking in the break room.