Start of Your Shift (e.g., "9:00 am"): End of Your Shift (e.g., "5:00 pm"):

1. MWest on August 5, 2020 at 3:50 pm

Our employees work 6am to 2:30pm Monday – Friday. We current offer morning break at 8 am and lunch at 11am. Our employees want to change their break to 9:30 am and lunch to 12pm. Can we do that legally? Do we need them to sign a waiver of some kind?

2. Dali on August 5, 2020 at 1:10 pm

If I work from 8:30 to 5:30 and lunch from 12:00 to 1:30 .
    Is that legal? I get an hour lunch and 30 min paid rest break for the day.
    I do not have to stay on premises.

3. Tim on August 5, 2020 at 12:32 am

I work a 40 plus work week. Monday thru Friday. My boss says “some Saturdays are mandatory.
    Can my boss make me work a Saturday too in addition to working my regular work schedule?

• Joshua Petrie on August 5, 2020 at 8:21 am

I don’t know enough about this, but look in to “SB 878 Fair Scheduling Act”.

See also Reporting Time Pay https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_ReportingTimePay.htm

That being said, AFAIK, the employer sets the employee’s schedule. I don’t know how legally enforceable it is, but was there any kind of availability form filled out that would be on file that says you aren’t available on Saturdays?

• Tim on August 6, 2020 at 7:22 am

No forms. When we were hired our schedule is Monday thru Fri with weekends off. We get paid weekly, every Friday, by check

But lately he has been wanting to work us Saturdays and Sundays, paid in cash, at the end of the work day, more than our normal rate. He actually provides us lunch too.
        But I don’t want to work, I’m tired from the work week, and the triple digit heat doesn’t help either!

• Joshua Petrie on August 5, 2020 at 10:57 pm

Found the answer, I think!

“Q. Can an employer require an employee to work overtime?

A. Yes, in general an employer may dictate the employee’s work schedule and hours. Additionally, under most circumstances the employer may discipline an employee, up to and including termination, if the employee refuses to work scheduled overtime. However, an employer cannot discipline an employee for refusing to work on the 7th day in a workweek and is subject to a penalty for causing or inducing an employee to forego a day of rest. An employee who is fully apprised of the entitlement to rest may independently chooses not to take a day of rest.”

4. Tommy on August 5, 2020 at 12:11 am

In landscape construction, what is supposed to be provided for employees by employers?
    I heard easy up shade, if digging?
    I also heard water is also responsibility of employers? Is that true?
    We dig trenches for irrigation or holes for trees, in the sun, 100 plus degrees outside with no shade at all.

5. Sam on August 5, 2020 at 12:03 am

Our work shift Work shift 7a-4p Monday-Friday. Weekends are supposed to be off.
    Boss says weekend work for “cash pay” and is “optional” for anyone wanting to make extra.
    Some ppl go to work and some don’t. But the attitude on Monday for not going to work on weekends is obvious.
    Any advice?

6. David on August 3, 2020 at 9:20 pm

I start work at 5am my lunch starts at 10am on a 8 hour shift. Is 10am the start of the 6th hour ? Is that a 5 hour lunch violation?

• Joshua Petrie on August 4, 2020 at 10:53 am

5am is 0 hour, so what I usually do is count out loud from the start time and then with the next hour open my first finger until the fifth finger opens. So, 6 (index finger opens), 7 (middle), 8 (ring), 9 (pinky), 10 (thumb).

“If you work over 5 hours in a day, you are entitled to a meal break of at least 30 minutes that must start before the end of the fifth hour of your shift.”

As long as I can stop work at or before the 5th hour ends I don’t seek a meal penalty hour of pay.

7. Andres Garcia on August 2, 2020 at 12:34 pm

Is it legal for them to tell you to take a early lunch ? My shift starts at 12 ends at 8 . They want me to take my lunch at 2 or 3 which I find pointless cause I’m not tired I rather take it at the end of my 5 like I’m supposed to. Please let me know how I can go about it.

• Joshua Petrie on August 4, 2020 at 11:13 am

AFAIK, the employer directs an employee’s schedule including breaks. There apparently needs to be a rest break before a meal break (see Eugene’s recent comment: https://calaborlaw.com/california-meal-break-law-for-employees/comment-page-22/#comment-12082 ) so maybe they work it something like this?

In: 12pm
      (paid 10 min rest break at 1pm?)
      Out: 2pm
      (unpaid 30 min meal break)
      In: 2:30pm
      (paid 10 min rest break at 4:30)
      Out: 8pm
      Total time paid: 7.5 hours

One thing I’m not absolutely clear on is how the timing of a meal break affects the timing of a meal penalty. I get it from a a maximum POV—like all the info says: if you work over 5 hours you need access to a meal break. But what if you’re not near the 5 hour max, like in your case? I wonder if any 30 minute unpaid break resets the 5 hour clock. Or if within each 5 hour block you need a meal break, but it doesn’t matter too much where (as long as there’s a rest break before it, per the aforementioned link)…?

If you worked 12 to 3 took a meal break, then worked 3:30 to 8, I don’t see an issue because it’s less than 5 hours (4.5 hours).

8. Tim on August 1, 2020 at 8:38 am

Is it illegal for someone to give a meal break and not even give them a 10 min break before the 4th hour of their shift?

9. Adrianna on July 31, 2020 at 11:09 am

I informed HR of lunches I clocked out on but continued to work for almost 3 months . They stated they would issue a payment to me this was back in Feb 2020 it is now July and I have made several attempts to find out the status of this but they keep saying they are working on it . Should I peruse with a lawsuit?