Chat with us, powered by LiveChat Skip to content

Final Paychecks – When Are They Due? (2019)

Paycheck A question I hear a lot is: “I just left my job, when is my employer supposed to pay me my last paycheck?” The answer is: it depends.

If you were fired or laid off

If the employer ended your employment — fired you, laid you off, eliminated your position, etc. — they must have your final paycheck ready for you on your last day of work.

If you quit – without notice

If you ended your employment — you resigned or you quit — without notice, then the employer must have the check ready for you within 72 hours AFTER your last day of work.

If you quit – with notice

But if you quit AND if you gave at least 3 days advance notice to your employer of when your last day of work will be, then the employer must have your final paycheck ready for you on your last day.

Some additional things to keep in mind about final paychecks

1. The final paycheck must include pay for all hours you have worked, including any overtime and double time. It must also include payment of any unused vacation hours or PTO. Note, you are NOT entitled to be paid for any unused paid sick hours unless the employer’s policies or agreements with you say otherwise.
  2. The employer cannot make you wait until the next payday to give you your last check.
  3. The employer cannot attach any strings to your last check. For instance, the employer cannot hold back your check unless you agree to sign a bunch of papers, or unless you first turn in your keys and uniform, or unless you pay back the loan they gave you, or unless you pay for the damage you did to the company vehicle, or unless you first talk to the company’s lawyers, etc.
  4. If you ask the employer to mail the last paycheck to you at your home address, the employer must comply. They cannot force you to come to the office to come pick up your final check if you do not want to.

If your employer fails to give you your final paycheck on time

If your employer does not comply with the above, then they are the hook to pay you a penalty for each day they don’t pay you all of your final wages, up to a maximum of 30 days of your average daily pay. See California Labor Code Section 201 and Section 203. For most people, that ends up being 1.5 months of pay! The employer does have certain legal defenses to these penalties, but they are narrow and can be difficult to establish.

Above all, keep in mind, your final paycheck has special status under the law. If your employer has not given you your last paycheck on time, consider filing a labor board complaint. Also, consider talking things over with a lawyer as there could be more penalties that apply to your situation.

1. eboh on October 3, 2019 at 10:00 pm

so I was terminated on the 25th and I work for a school district. I usually get paid the very last working day of the month. sept 30 came and went and I still do not have any paper works stating the board terminated me and I still don’t have my paycheck. what can I do? I have sick leave, vacation, dependent lea e, and holiday pay that I did not use totaling to 168 hours. are they going to pay me for those hours? if so are they going to be combined with my other pay they owe me?

• Karin on October 11, 2019 at 7:44 am

if you are in California they must pay you for all hours worked up to the last day of employment including PTO or VAC depending on the type of time off policy they don’t have to pay you for sick time. the check had o be given to you on your last day of work 9/25 if you didn’t received you can file a claim with the state wage and hours dept you should be entitle to waiting time penalty until the day you receive the check.

2. Maggie Sias on October 2, 2019 at 7:16 am

If an Employer honors a 2-week notice with final date of 10/15, let’s say, but Employee does not need to report to work, is 10/15 still the official final day if he is being paid for regular and OT hours he’d have worked on a regular basis during the 2 week notice?

3. James Schaeffer on September 20, 2019 at 6:15 pm

Spoke with eugene lee about a truck driver claim

4. Rob on September 17, 2019 at 9:40 pm

What if a final check was never cashed, is the terminated employee entitled to have the check reissued? Is there a maximum timeframe to get this done?

5. Deb on September 13, 2019 at 6:02 pm

Can you collect penalty pay for not being paid your penalty pay? I just received my PTO check. That took 12 days. Is the clock still ticking since the have not paid the penalty pay?

6. Lorena on September 12, 2019 at 11:09 pm

On 12/03/18 My manager called me at his office and told me a authority above him tell him to let me go, I got paid for the 4 days the I was schedule ti work in that week but he did no give me my last check, that evening my manager called me to see how I was doing, I asked for my last check and he said it will check on it with his manager, next day he told me the I was not fired the I was in the system and I will get pay in the regular pay period, which was on 12/14/18 I was schedule to work other days in December but I was informed by my manager that wont happen do to problems between managers, the called me to work four days in January 19 they never called me back but they said I was not laud off or fire, also did not get my 401K, and they never granted me a single rest period, I was on call employee, but sometimes did worked over 40hrs a week.